We are based in Edinburgh. We also have outreach staff in Dundee, Stirling and Fife. We can offer limited support to BME women, and their advisers, all over Scotland by phone and email.
What we do
- We work with BME women and their supporters.
Women, children and young people
- We help women to stay as safe as possible, whether they decide to stay with or leave whoever is abusing them.
- We give advice and information about options and choices, and issues which may affect BME women. These include forced marriage, female genital mutilation, immigration rights, and ‘honour-based abuse’ from family, household and community.
- We help women and their children find a safe place to stay (temporary refuge) while they decide what to do.
- We work closely with other services to make sure that women and children are as safe as possible.
- We can assist staff in other services who are working with BME women.
- We train staff in other organisations, including the police, health and social workers.
- We give opportunities to students and others through work experience placements.
- We work with others to improve laws, protection and services for BME women, children and young people who experience domestic abuse.
We also work closely with the Scottish Government, Police Scotland, NHS Scotland and other statutory and voluntary services. We provide training and consultancy for agencies working with BME women, children and young people.
We are members of Scottish Women’s Aid. This means we have links to Women’s Aid groups across Scotland and the UK; keep up to date with research; and take part in regular training.