Rights to stay in the UK

You may need help with immigration issues and rights to stay in the UK. Or you may want to leave the UK. We can help you with this and also help you get legal advice about immigration rules.

Always get immigration advice from a regulated immigration adviser, preferably one who offers ‘legal aid’.

You can find out more on the UK government’s website. Click here.

Spouse/partner visa

If you are in the UK on a spouse /partner visa and are experiencing domestic abuse, there is help for you. If your spouse/partner visa has expired you may still be able to get help.

If your spouse/partner was a British national or had Indefinite Leave to Remain when you came to the UK, you may be able to apply for Leave to Remain as a victim of domestic abuse. You may also be able to get housing and money through the Destitution Domestic Violence Concession.

This does not apply to women experiencing domestic abuse who are in the UK on any other type of visa or have no visa.

The UK Government website tells you how to apply for settlement (also called ‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK. To link to that part of the site click here.

Apply to settle in the UK.

No entitlement to support

Some women are not able to get support from the UK Government (no recourse to public funds). This means that you are not usually allowed to claim money (benefits) for yourself or any children, even if the children are British.

If your visa or residence permit says ‘no recourse to public funds’ on it, then you cannot claim Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Housing Benefit and other benefits.

Information about what you can and cannot claim is on the UK Government website.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, you can still contact Shakti for help. We can help you to get immigration advice.

Always take immigration advice from a regulated immigration adviser, preferably one who offers ‘legal aid’. For further information about finding an immigration adviser, check on the UK Government’s website.

Information for professionals: see  no recourse to public funds network.