No entitlement to support

Some women are not able to get support from the UK Government (no recourse to public funds). This means that you are not usually allowed to claim money (benefits) for yourself or any children, even if the children are British.

If your visa or residence permit says ‘no recourse to public funds’ on it, then you cannot claim Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Housing Benefit and other benefits.

Information about what you can and cannot claim is on the UK Government website.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, you can still contact Shakti for help. We can help you to get immigration advice.

Always take immigration advice from a regulated immigration adviser, preferably one who offers ‘legal aid’. For further information about finding an immigration adviser, check on the UK Government’s website.

Information for professionals: see  no recourse to public funds network.