Plan for safety
Think about what will keep you safe if you are:
- Living with whoever is abusing you.
- Planning to leave.
- Have already left and live apart from whoever has abused you. Often women are still not safe although they have left whoever is abusing them.
Shakti can help you with your plan.
You can write down your plan but it may be safer to memorise it. Some things to think about are:
- Who can you trust? If you need to leave in a hurry, is there a neighbour or friend you can go to if you need to? Write down or memorise their phone numbers. Memorise 999 for the police and also Shakti’s number.
- What is the safest and quickest way for you to get out of the house if you need to? If you are being hurt, what is the safest room for you to be in? Where is safest in that room? The kitchen is not safe because there are knives in it.
- Where is the phone kept?
- Is there a secret signal you can make to your children or anyone else to show that you need them to phone the police or get help?