Domestic abuse affects every woman differently. So, when a woman contacts us, we ask about what’s going on in her life and we fit our service around that. This includes taking account of any disabilities, age, sexuality or other factors.
We offer this service in Edinburgh and East, Mid, and West Lothian; and have an Outreach service in Fife, in Dundee, and in Forth Valley (Stirling, Falkirk, and Clackmannanshire).
We give each woman her own worker(s), called a ‘key worker’. All staff are women. They know about domestic abuse and the fear and harm it causes.
- Listen to what women say.
- Help her to be as safe as possible.
- Explain her options and her rights.
- Help her decide what to do (if anything).
- Help her feel stronger in herself.
- Tell her about other help she can get.
- Help her get support for her children.
- Give her practical help: for example to find somewhere safe to stay or to get a solicitor or health care; or legal protection; or to apply for benefits (money) she is due.
- If a woman needs to leave the area/community she lives in, we have links with Women’s Aid all over the UK
The service which I received from Shakti saved my life. It made me feel I want to live life again. They showed me that it was not all lost, and I am now starting again.
My support worker has helped me gain my confidence back and move on in my life.
I had a very bad time when my husband left me. My sister-in-law told me about Shakti. I didn’t come that time. But once I came it was a big change for myself. Shakti helped me in all my matters without any delay. I would say that was the time when I started to feel more relaxed.